Sunday 17 June 2007

第5回 アテナ杯 エヴァンゲ リオンネッ トワークス VS 岐阜代表 Part I

How fucking great is this? originally discovered at the very wonderful "Video Games Of The Damned" ( see links on the side bar) This video of Virtua Fighter 2, played in an arcade in Japan somewhere, shows how videogaming in Japan is something of a spectator sport!

It also demonstrates the power of the videogame in Japan, the passion for AM2/Sega titles, and how we don't fully appreciate titles of this magnificence on this side of the Pacific...

Virtua Fighter was one of THE titles that made the Saturn indespensable to me, and remains one of my favourite titles of all time...

I need to post a 'fighter' retrospective on all Saturn titles (and believe me there's loads!)

Great video! Enjoy!

(BTW I've left the title in Japanese 'cos it looks so cool!)

5 comments:

gnome said...

They don't sound particularly drunk, do they? Oh, and a lovely new blog you discovered there Father.

NebachadnezzaR said...

I've seen this already (yeah, i too visit videogames of the damned) and it's really cool to see how they devote themselves to master the game (sagata-san did a good job).

Here in europe and in the states most people will only play this a couple times, more in 2-player mode, before moving on to something else.

By the way, i just saw one fucking impressive collection of saturn games over at the PTGamers forum. I'm waiting for the guy to reply to my post asking permission to post the picture here (just between us, i'm going to post it anyway, but i prefer to do it with his consent).

Random J said...

I wasn't too keen on Virtua Fighter 2. Something about it just felt dated, even back then. I much preferred Tekken 2, which was the Tekken game that made me a fan.

Ross said...

Tekken 3 to me is still the best Tekken. I played the hell out of that on the PSX. I didn't get into Virtua Fighter until Virtua Fighter 4, which was a masterpiece (the Evolution version especially).

Animated AF said...

Tekken plays like shit though, and sill does. Virtua Fighter has a flow to it that only Soul Calibur has since beaten. You really need to train hard to be any good at VF, though, otherwise you just end up jabbing away until someone eventually falls out of the ring.

Virtua Fighter was HUGE in Japan, possily another reason why the Saturn did so well there.