Saturday 21 November 2009

Happy Birthday Saturn - 15th Anniversary DJ Mix

I've been wanting to do this for a while...and well, this is the perfect time. Behold...the Sega Saturn 15th Anniversary DJ Mix. I didn't have a whole lot of time to put into this, but I've taken some of my favorite tracks from Saturn exclusive games like Nights, Daytona, Sega Rally, Guardian Heroes, VF2 and put them together in a continuous DJ mix (about 40 min. long).

As a very involved hobby/side thing, I've been DJ'ing (techno, house etc., etc.) at clubs/parties for many years, so I've actually taken some of my skills from that area, and have been able to sit down with this mix and blend together and layer some tracks here and there for some interesting results. A lot of the tracks just aren't that DJ friendly, and in the spare time I've had to put this together, this is the best that I could come up with. The other limiting factor is actually getting the tracks off of the Saturn discs. Games like Daytona and Virtua fighter are great, because all of the music data is stored as normal compressed audio, which can just be copied directly from the disc. Other games like Nights, Panzer Dragoon Saga, and Radiant Silvergun have their music stored elsewhere, so I was only able to pull out a few tracks here and there.

In any case, every one should download the mix, and give it a listen. If you are going to download it though, there is one caveat.....you have to listen to the entire thing in one continuous play through...i.e. no fast forwarding and jumping around here and there. It's a DJ mix, and thus is intended to listen from the start to end. After you've listened to the whole thing once, then feel free to jump around to all of your favorite parts.

One thing I've noticed while making this, is just how well produced all of this music is. You can tell that a lot of effort and time went into making these songs. I've never really listened to many of them in my good headphones, or on a good sound system. But they all sound great, and are mastered really, very nicely.

Hopefully there are a few "oh, that's cool" moments for every one in this mix. The Junkyard crew should recognize most, if not all of the tracks...but if there are any that youcan't figure out...feel free to ask. As I said before, I only had a limited amount of time to work on this mix, and as a result I've obviously left out many awesome songs that should rightfully be included. Well, there can always be a version 2.0!

Listen and enjoy.....and let me know what you think.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Excellent job !

Thank you for this fantastic gift !

Nights said...

thanks for sharing :D
it's fantastic