Thursday 4 January 2007

Shenmue - Sega Saturn Version!

Whilst experimenting with posting video, I thought I'd treat you to this beauty!

Shenmue is my favourite ever game for the Dreamcast, but as you might have guessed, it was originally destined for the Saturn.

Originally entitled "Project Berkley" or "Virtua Fighter RPG" this sprawling epic tale of revenge is worth owning a Dreamcast for on it's own...

However, I love this particular Saturn tech demo which those who finished Shenmue 2 were treated to on completion of the game.

On the subject of Virtua Fighter, you may notice a striking similarity between Ryo (the main character in Shenmue) and VF's own Akira... That's because they are one and the same...

God bless you Sega! God bless you AM2! God bless you Yu Suzuki! Enjoy!

10 comments:

gnome said...

Krishna bless you dear father!

An excellent post... Never knew this Shenmue background bit. Cheers!

fatherkrishna said...

I'm so proud! thanks for the prompt response! You are the best Gnome I know! Cheers!

Random J said...

I remember seeing this when I clocked Shenmue 2. I was like "Oh, my eyes!!" *lol*

It was a cool bonus though. The game must've been far in development for them to have shown that thug guy. What's his name? Ren?

Junlee said...

Ya know, I own a dreamcast (although it's not here, it's back home), and I never got around to getting Shenmue. I always wanted to, but just never did.

Is it really that good?

fatherkrishna said...

J His name is indeed Ren... Ren Of Heavens to be precise...

Junlee, Shenmue is without doubt the single best gaming experience I have ever had. But I'd look up a few reviews before purchasing on only my reccomendation..

Unknown said...

you've got this video posting down to fine art, and what excellent gems you 've found, I remember playing shemue for xbox and loved in particular manning the game stall...... how simple life is sometimes.

Ross said...

The unlockables on Shenmue 2 on Xbox were cool as well, namely the Sega Genesis games. Brings back the good ol' days, except on a fancy new sysem. You yong whippersnappers didnt know how we had it back then. Our games looked like shit, and dammit, we were happy!

fatherkrishna said...

Here, here Ross!

Gameplay is king, thats why I rock the retro!

No Wii in this house any time soon...

gnome said...

No Wii, but still, gameplay is king. Wisely spoken oh Father!

Anonymous said...

I love that video. The graphics look cool, even if a bit unfinished, and I think Shenmue would have had a great impact, if released on the Sega Saturn. I would love to get ahold of a beta or something. :(