Monday 23 July 2007

More crazy Japanese stuff

After sometime without touching my beloved Saturn (been busy lately with my 360), I decided to try another obscure Japanese game, this time a dungeon crawler much like Diablo (did I ever mention that Diablo II is my favourite game of all time?), or so I was told. The fact is this game is much more similar to Evolution, a series of RPG's for the Dreamcast, which is not that bad, since I kind of liked Evolution 1 and 2...until I got bored to death with the repetitive gameplay.

(Diablo II: I wuv it so...)

But let's talk about this particular game. The game in question has one of the longest/weirdest titles I've ever seen, it's name being (breath in): Waku Waku Puyo Puyo Dungeon Limited (breath out). My first thought was that this was some kind of strange mix between Waku Waku 7 and the Puyo Puyo series in a dungeon-style setting, but although I've never played Waku Waku 7, I didn't see any reference to it.


Well, maybe this is because I can't understand a fucking word of Japanese, and this game is full of it! Yeah, yeah, I know, what else could I expect from an import, but there are some games that have a lot of english between the kanji. Unfortunately this is not one of those, and although I don't care for the story, it's really hard to manage your inventory like this. I bet I'm still using my beginner's rusty sword while my inventory is full of "great swords of the greatest greatness +5".

(beware of killer puyos!)

At least the gameplay is really basic. You start the game in what seems to be some sort of crazy fun park, with the typical horror house along the not so typical puyo dungeon (WTF?). It doesn't really matter what area you choose, because they all end up like being the same thing, only the background is different. Just like in Evolution, you have to explore a maze-like dungeon, fighting enemies (oh noes, killer puyos!), collecting items and exploring the dungeon until you find the stairs to the next level. The worst thing about this game, and about all others of the same genre, is that this is all you do, and you have to repeat it ad nauseam (I like to show off the little latin I know :D). Combine this with my short attention span and you have a game that will only be in the console for 1 or 2 days.


Anyway, in case anyone really digs this kind of games, this is a good choice and not a too expensive one (you can usually buy it for, like, $30 or something).


Puyos, aren't they cute...(and deadly!)

4 comments:

fatherkrishna said...

LOL! That was a great (and very funny ) review! More obscure Japanese import titles brought to you by the God of Portugese gaming! NebachadnezzaR! By the way I never knew what a Puyo was! Now I do!

(Oh and I loved the Latin snippet! Is there anything you can't do?) :)

gnome said...

Top-class writing there my friend, and I must admit anything sounding like Waku Waku can't just can't compete with a Diablo. Or Belzebul.

NebachadnezzaR said...

"God of Portugese gaming"

I like the sound of that! :)

fatherkrishna said...

if the cap fits wear it!