Saturday 18 April 2009

SSF Saturn Emulator guide


There's a rather excellent article now on Racketboy regarding Saturn emulation. This is an interesting subject, since for many, many years gamers thought that emulating a Saturn would be impossible, due to its unique and complex architecture, but alas, they were proven wrong, and nowadays we already have some good examples of Saturn emulators. The best of all is, arguably, SSF, but it is as great as it is obscure, programmed by some unknown Japanese guy, and with an official webpage all in Japanese. So, for some of us, just getting the emulator to work may not be an easy task.

That's when this article comes in. Not only can you learn a bit about the emu's history, but there's also some rather great guides regarding everything related to it, from compatibility lists to set-up guides. Of course, for most of us, proud Saturn owners, this may seem somewhat irrelevant, since so far there's no real advantage in using the emu over a real console, but for those curious readers who follow us without even owning a Saturn, to the older fans who along the way lost their Saturns and want to relive the old days without having to invest on a new one, or even for us, hardcore Saturn fans, who want to try out betas and the like without the hassle of having to burn a cd and making it run on the console, SSF is a must.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

SSF really does have good compatibility. However it offers barely any graphical improvements. For games that work with it, I like to use Cassini. It'll give you a nice, antialiased high resolution picture.

The Plushiest said...

I think for me, I'd like to be able to play my saturn games when I travel on my laptop. But most of the saturn games I would want to play I already have for MAME (i.e. Street Fighter series, Dungeons & Dragons, Metal Slug etc.)

ArugulaZ said...

Hey, now there's a good idea. I've got a fairly powerful desktop machine now, and I really should be making the most of it.

Bkron said...

There is a very good website about SSF:
http://evilboris.sonic-cult.net/SSF/

Barry the Nomad said...

Cool post! I was wondering why I haven't seen any Saturn emulation, or better yet, a portable Saturn. I hit a brick wall with Saturn when writing an article for my blog on unofficial portable Saturn consoles.

Photoboy said...

I've been using SSF on my laptop for a few years now and it's brilliant. I still like to use the original hardware, but a laptop plus all my games converted to images is very convenient.

There are also plenty of USB Saturn pads on eBay at the moment so you can have the authentic controller experience too (unless you're in love with the 3D Pad).