Saturday 23 July 2011

It's a new one on me... Super Tempo!



It's not too often these days, that I find something for the Saturn that I've not heard of before. But that is exactly what happened today when I was perusing my 'oft visited' and old favourite gaming discussion website, the Planet Dreamcast Forum. There is regular love for the Saturn shown by various forum members (it's hard to love the Saturn without having a soft spot for it's console 'son and heir' the Dreamcast- most of the SJY team are part of the DCJY as well!)

So! Back to the matter in hand, the wonderful looking, Japanese only, 2D platformer... "Super Tempo!" The Saturn really comes into it's own when showcasing 2D titles and I'm sure you'll agree that as well as fluid looking handling, the graphics are amongst the best looking by today's exacting standards.

Despite holding a special place in the hearts of retro-gamers everywhere, it's an undeniable fact that many Saturn games now look terribly dated and pixellated (House Of The Dead being a fine example of this phenomena...) However, I'm sure you'll agree that the footage you can see in the above video looks as good as any of the modern day 2D platformers on offer on XBLA/PSN or the Wii's Virtual Console...(Sonic The Hedgehog 4 anyone?)

So enjoy the visual feast provided below and may I also say a big thanks to PDC Forum member Twicesliced for revealing this previously unknown gem to all of us here at the SJY!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Then you must know Tempo for 32x and Tempo Jr. for Game Gear. If you didn't know about them, go play them!

RT said...

Super Tempo isn't nearly as offensive to the eyes as its 32X predecessor. Never played the Game Gear game tho, so no comment on that one.

NebachadnezzaR said...

I remember seeing a couple of videos of this game, but have long since forgotten about it. It truly looks amazing, and sort of reminds me of another 2d platformer, Tryrush Deppy. That game also sports some great visuals.

gameofyou said...

Super Tempo is indeed a great game, thanks for bringing attention to it. I wrote a reveiw for it years ago at gamefaqs.com.

fatherkrishna said...

Hi gameofyou... Please can we have a link to your esteemed article? if I can find it I'll reproduce it here on the site if that is OK? Cheers!

fatherkrishna said...

Great to see you here Nebacha!