Saturday 23 February 2008

The Saturn Software Sampler!

Forget the Whitman's... now here's a tasty treat with absolutely no calories or trans fats! A guy named GameOfYou has created a utility which offers footage and box artwork from one hundred and sixty Sega Saturn games. That's not the entire Saturn library, but all the classics are covered, including Radiant Silvergun, Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter, and that role-playing masterpiece Panzer Dragoon Saga.

This is an excellent resource for gamers who love the Sega Saturn but can't afford to spend money on every import they find on eBay. Just use the guide to sort the titles by genre, then watch the brief film clips to decide which ones are worthy of your collection. Now that's convenience!

Best of all, the Saturn sampler is free if you're willing to sit through a 600MB download. Just click the image above to visit GameOfYou's web site and click "Get One!" to, well, get one. Be sure to throw a few dollars in the man's PayPal tip jar if you find the sampler useful. Hey, he just kept you from spending three hundred dollars on the incredibly overrated Psychic Assassin Toramaru... you could spare him a few bills!

8 comments:

elend said...

Well, I don't think that Psychic Assassin Taromaru is too overrated. It's infact a very playable and gorgeous looking game.

fatherkrishna said...

Lovely post Arugulaz, and quite a beautiful illustration too! I will slip a few quid in the great man's tip jar (sorry paypal account) for the resource is a fine one! Good find!

ArugulaZ said...

Elend: I'll give you gorgeous (the game pioneered 2.5D graphics before anyone knew what they were), but playable? Er, not so much. The lack of any real melee combat hurts the game badly. I got sick of getting swarmed by foes that I couldn't kill with my wimpy psychic attacks, and couldn't drive back with punches or kicks. You're not the first person to disagree with my about this, though.

Krishna: Happy to be of service!

fatherkrishna said...

Arugulaz! I loved this post! let's hope there'll be many more!

elend said...

I now had a look at the Database. Too bad the videos are quite small and of bad quality. Other than that it's a nice and handy tool.

@Fatherkrishna: I definitely had to get used to the controls and I think it would have been better if you'd be able to slash with some kind of sword. Yet it did work and had quite a nice amount of good usage of the 2.5 D graphics.

But of course tastes are different. :P I just finished Quake for the Saturn and am now going to play some Layer Section II. Woo yay.

NebachadnezzaR said...

Sounds interesting and useful, I'll check it out when I have the chance.

Oh, and I have to play that Psychic Assassin Taromaru. Heard a lot about its rarity but little about the game itself. Guess I'll have to find out myself (yeah, I know it costs a small fortune, but I'll find a way...)

elend said...

Check some Screenshots out here: http://www.vidgames.de/657/
:D

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the nice article on my 'Saturn Collector's Guide'. There is also another Saturn-related item that I make. It is called a 'Saturn USB DataLink', which can transfer game-saves between Saturn and PC, download homebrew games to the Saturn, and more. For more info, you can go to http://www.GamingEnterprisesInc.com