Thursday 20 August 2009

Yo dawg, I heard you like Sonic...

...so I put Sonic in yo Sonic, so you can play while you play.


Lol.


Ok, forget that...

Have you heard about SAGE? No, I'm not talking about 4chan, but Sega Amateur Games Expo. First time I heard about it, actually. Apparently, and as the name implies, it's a display of fan-made Sonic games, most of them resembling the old 2D games of yore, while others attempting a shot at 3D (and, like Sega, failing miserably). But why am I talking about this in the Sega Junkyard? Because of this little gem.



Probably the only fan-made 3D Sonic game not to suck, through the use of a somewhat archaic game engine, unintentionally or not, it ends up looking a lot like a Saturn game, only with the obvious bump in resolution and texture detail. Ok, maybe not exactly like a Saturn game, but at least like a Model 2 one, and that's close enough for me.

So, I thought I would just let you know about it, in case you desperately want to play something that loosely resembles what Sonic X-Treme could've been. Demo available at the official site (downloading now).

Also, "sage goes in all fields" (kudos to whoever understands this obscure reference :P )

5 comments:

Animated AF said...

Only 3D sonic fan game that doesn't suck? Ahem, Sonic Robo Blast 2? :P

Barry the Nomad said...

So I had this Saturn related dream last night:
I was playing NiGHTS and in the intro they did a character role call, so the kids and enemies were named off. But then a character that I had never noticed before appeared named "Pickle", and he looked like a big nosed Robert De Niro in a brown suit. This revelation led me to learn that Pickle of NiGHTS was indeed a younger Prof. Pickle of Sonic Unleashed! Hence, Prof. Pickle began his career studying Nightopia before moving on to Dark Gaia.

NebachadnezzaR said...

@Gman, Wasn't aware of that one, guess I gotta check it out :)

BTW, in the meantime I tried it out and I gotta say, it's pretty good. The control's not that responsive, but maybe with a couple of key changes it'll play better. Anyway, it's a promising little game.

@Barry, lol, I had no idea :D

Anonymous said...

Not such an obscure reference... my user name is very relevant :P

NebachadnezzaR said...

Anon delivers! :P