Wednesday 5 September 2007

Sega Model 2 emulator

Like most gamers, until recently I thought the arcade games emulation scene was just about MAME and nothing more, since that is the one emulator everybody talks about. Well, now I've expanded my horizons, and so I want to expand yours too, by telling you about a great Model 2 emulator.


By now I can almost hear Gagaman(n) screaming "Why the hell are you posting this in The Saturn Junkyard? This place is for Saturn posts and nothing more! Go post this stuff in your own blog!". Well, the fact is, like always there is a link between this and the Saturn. See, the Model 2 is for the Saturn what the NAOMI board is for the Dreamcast. Can't see the picture yet? The M2 board is basically a Saturn with more power locked inside an arcade cabinet, which explains the many games they have in common.

Know Sega Rally? Daytona USA? Sega Touring Car? Dead or Alive? Virtual-On? The list could go on, and on, but I think you all get the idea by now. All this games and many more were originally released for the Model 2 and later ported to the Saturn, with some having better conversions than others.


So, if we already have most games on our beloved Saturn, why would we want such an emulator? Well, many games have been ported, but only half or so, so there's plenty more games exclusive to the system waiting for you to have a blast with them, like Desert Tank, Gunblade, Indy 500, Motor Raid, Over Rev or Zero Gunner, just to name a few.

On the other hand, since the Saturn is less powerful than the M2, no ports are "arcade perfect", with all sporting worse graphics and many having tweaked gameplay, removed features and such, so if you want to experience the real Daytona USA, for example, this is the way to go.


Unfortunately, all 3D emulators need a lot of work into them, and since this one is still in development, not everything runs perfectly yet. All the racing games I've tried so far have graphical and control issues (so no "arcade perfect" Daytona for you, yet...), and many games run somewhat slow. The latter issue is mostly due to my PC, since I've heard that people with recent machines run every game at full speed. My PC is not that bad, though, so if you want to have good speeds on most games make sure your PC is really good.

Anyway, despite this, I already had a blast playing Zero Gunner (full speed, graphically perfect) and Gunblade (half speed, graphical issues), a game that was a real blast from the past, since it was the last game I've played in a real arcade, 4 years ago on a trip to Lisbon. Many more games await me, so there's plenty more stuff to try the emulator with.

Huh? Want links? Well, of course! Here they are:

Emulator

Roms

As always, if you have any problems with the emulator, just tell me about it and I'll try to help.

And, as always, good bye and good (arcade) games ;)

6 comments:

javihyev said...

OH MY GOD TOP SKATER OH MY GOD.
i will test them all.


also, another good arcade emulator is final burn alpha, a sort of shooter specific mame. i love it. it plays cave games.

fatherkrishna said...

Would it be over the top to say I love you Nebacha? In a manly, brotherly, heterosexual sort of way of course... *cough!*

Yet another amazing find from Portugal's premier gamer! Top banana! As soon as my cleverer friend comes round to show me how to actually get it onto my PC, I'm there! Top marks for providing Saturn experiences to non- Saturn owners! :)

Random J said...

Damn! I think I may need to get me one o' those. :D

NebachadnezzaR said...

Of course not, Father, you can show your love for me any time you want.

Straight love, of course...*cough*, manly, heterosexual love...

I SO hope Mrs. K is not reading this...

Anonymous said...

Actually, the Titan/ST-V hardware is the arcade version of the Saturn. The Model 2 hardware varies dramatically from the Saturn. However, they were both developed around the same time, albeit by different companies. See http://www.system16.com for more information on all Sega arcade hardware.

gnome said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you. Oh, and, uh, thanks!